Congratulations to Megan Woods and Jen Sharp for winning the 2013 Eat Local Challenge Scavenger Hunt.
Welcome Eat Local Challengers to the Local Food Foraging Scavenger Hunt!
The full details of the scavenger hunt are out! To find the clues (1) gather them from the 21 sponsors facebook pages, twitter accounts or websites. (2) stay tuned for bonus points in the Food Forager Bonus Points (below).
Please read the hunt rules carefully and be sure to turn in all your clues and bonus points by the final deadline (TBA). The winner will be awarded a $1000 cash prize + other perks. May the best locavore win!
Scavenger Hunt Rules
Each Clue is worth 1 point.
Each of the 21 Scavenger Hunt Sponsors listed here will have a clue, either in the form of a question or a piece of information.
Find clues by visiting each sponsor’s Facebook page, website, Twitter account or, when applicable, their physical store or market location.
Clues may be somewhat hidden but look for the Eat Local Challenge logo or postings about the Eat Local Challenge to get your clue.
Most of the clues will be posted on each sponsor’s facebook page on June 1st.
Each Bonus Point is worth 1 point.
Some Scavenger Hunt Sponsors will also offer a bonus point, along with their clue. Details about retrieving the bonus point will be on their website, Facebook page and/or Twitter account next to where their clue is posted.
Sponsors can choose to award bonus points for a variety of tasks but for most you will have to go to their office, retail store or market location and take a picture of yourself inside or with a product to prove you were there (either with a camera phone or other digital camera device). For others you will have to take a picture based on what they ask you to do for their bonus point.
Final Scavenger Hunt Clues
1) Name 10 edible foods that can be caught in the Gulf of Mexico.
2) Take and send in photograph of yourself in front of a fig tree. (make sure to include a fig)
3) Name 15 foods that would have been available to the Pre-Bienville inhabitants of the New Orleans area. (Only five can be seafood that would have come from Lake Pontchartrain or the Mississippi)
4) Go to these coordinates. Lat: 30 degrees0’12.6102″ Long: -90 degrees5’39.4800″. Looking East in the area of the 3 oaks, you will see one plant species that is out of place. (Hint: 1st oak) Name that species of La.plants and capture in a photo.
5) Send in photos taken from the same perspective as from the historic market photographs below.
Second set of Forager Bonus Points.
1) The Mauthe Family Dairy was originally raising their cows in what New Orleans neighborhood.
2) Name 5 wild edibles that are growing in City Park?
3) Write a recipe for how to make Kumquat salsa?
4) Name 5 local farmers that sell to Rouses?
5) What Brennans restaurant dessert in the 1951 is served around the world?
6) Name 3 Indian tribes that were Indigenous to the New Orleans area?
Here is the first set of Forager Bonus Points.
1) Name five fish that can be caught in Bayou St. John.
2) Send in a photo of yourself shopping at produce truck. Earn two bonus points by sending in photo buying produce from the Okra Man.
3) Name eight of the public markets that were thriving in New Orleans in the 1850′s.
4) What is the name of Danny Barker’s immortalized vegetarian friend. (Hint: Fish is his special dish.)
5) Send in the names of 3 community gardens that are closest to your house and a photo of yourself with the sign of one in the background.
All clues and bonus points will need to be collected and submitted to email@example.com. Though scavengers may have made previous submissions for leaderboard position, each registered Eat Local Challenge participant should submit one final list of clues and bonus points with the subject “FINAL Scavenger Hunt Submission for ( name of participant )“. No scavenger hunt submissions will be accepted after the date of the FINAL submissions for the 2013 Eat Local Challenge (TBA).
We prefer digital submissions (so we can cut down on paper waste). But you can also deliver your completed Scavenger Hunt Form with printed photos in an envelope to 1618 Oretha C. Haley, New Orleans, LA 70113. If you do not have internet access you can deliver your submission as a printed doc for the clues and printed photos for the bonus points.
In the event of a tie, a Scavenge Off, will be set into motion during the last week. Details for that will be posted as needed. The Eat Local Challenge Team will reserves the right to update the scavenger hunt dates, and clues to keep the scavenger hunt challenging. For clarification on any details send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject questions.
1) Jen Sharp
2) Brooke Boutte
3) Megan Woods
Week one winners:
1) Brooke Boutte
2) and 3) Tie Between Jen Sharp and Megan Woods
SCAVENGER HUNT STOPS
- 1. Crescent City Farmers Market
- 2. French Market
- 3. German Coast Farmers Market
- 4. Verti Farms
- 5. Hollygrove Market and Farm
- 6. La Divina Gelateria
- 7. Louisiana Public Health Institute
- 8. New Orleans Food Co-op
- 9. Joule Energy
- 10. Bantings Nursery
- 11. Prevention Research Center at Tulane
- 12. Cleaver & Co.
- 13. Cypress Fitness
- 14. Global Green / Nola Wise
- 15. Donner Peltier Distributors
- 16. Da fresh Seafood
- 17. Covington Brewhouse
- 18. American Bicycle Rental Company
- 19. Gracious Bakery
- 20. Transform Nola
- 21. Hoffstadt Farms