Eat Local New Orleans, in preparing for the 6th Anniversary New Orleans Eat Local Challenge, is inviting restaurants that are sourcing their ingredients locally to join in and participate in the event. The Eat Local Challenge is a 30 day local foods advocacy campaign where individuals are challenged to eat only foods grown, caught or raised within a 200 mile radius to raise the awareness of the nutritional, economic, environmental, and cultural benefits of eating locally sourced foods. The details of participation are below. For more information on signing up your restaurant please email Weenta Girmay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Cost of participation is $75 made payable to NOLA Locavores. Here is the link to pay online.
2) Maintain menu with at least one locally sourced dish for the 30 days of Challenge. Dish can be changed as needed but changes should given to Nola Locavores to be updated on our website and app. Dish does not need to have all of its ingredients locally sourced but the more the better.
3) It is a help if staff is familiar with details of the sourcing of menu item. (farm, location).
4) Eat Local New Orleans encourages restaurant staff to be roughly familiar with 4 benefits of sourcing food locally; environmental, economic, nutritional and cultural.
Eat Local NOLA provides:
1) Media attention from the Eat Local Challenge and the restaurants that are sourcing their ingredients from local farmers and fisherman. For last year’s event, 2 articles were written in the Times-Picayune and 2 were written in Gambit Weekly including a cover story.
2) Full listing on the Eat Local Challenge website including name, link to own website, and the details of the local ingredient menu item(s) being served. Last year the website received 36,722 hits from April 1- July 1 and by 4,596 unique visitors.
3) Inclusion of restaurant logo with active link to website.
4) Opportunity to participate in the Eat Local Restaurant Challenge where prizes are awarded to the participant that dines out at the most local food sourcing restaurants. Click for details.
4) We are estimating 500 people to fully register for the 6th Anniversary 2016 Eat Local Challenge and we will be steering them to local food sourcing restaurants to support their all local diets.
5) A laminated card to be placed in the restaurant recognizing the participation in the Eat Local Challenge.
6) Social media marketing by the Eat Local Challenge staff which reach over 10,000 combined Facebook, Instagram and Twitter followers.
7) Opportunity to host an eat local challenge event ( happy hour or dinner) at the restaurant with free marketing and promotion.
8) Opportunity to post recipes on blog as restaurant with info on restaurant menu.